What Expenses Can I Claim If I am Eligible For LAFHA?

If you think you may be eligible to receive compensation for living away from home, please contact us for a consultation.

Oncore provides the opportunity for you to salary package your business-related expenses. This is not a direct reimbursement of the expense but an offset against your taxable income resulting in greater take-home pay for you. The expenses that you can claim include your mobile phone, internet connection, software purchases, study, self-education, etc. 

These are expenses that relate to your current contract that Oncore is managing.


Related Expenses include:

  • Relocation costs


This expense category is only available upon consultation with Oncore and to those contractors who are eligible for the living away from home allowance. Living away from home allowance is an allowable tax deduction to compensate an employee who incurs additional expenses, as a result of being temporarily required to live away from their normal place of residence to perform their employment duties.

To be eligible to receive this benefit, all of the following conditions must be met:

  • The employee maintains a home in Australia at which they usually reside and
  • The employee must provide a declaration about living away from home and
  • The employee is limited under current FBT legislation, to a 12 month period of this benefit per location of employment. The 12 month period will reset when the above requirements are met, but the location is different. The new location will only be considered a new location if it is unreasonable to expect you to travel to and from work from the location at which you previously received the living away from home allowance.

To maintain a home in Australia, all of the following must apply:

  • the employee or their spouse must have an ownership interest in a home by way of a mortgage or a rental agreement
  • that home must be available for their immediate use and enjoyment at all times while they are living away from it, and
  • it is reasonable to expect that the employee will resume living at that home when they are no longer living away from home for the purposes of their employment.


If, after reading this article, you are still unsure what types of expenses you may be able to claim under this category, please either send us an email at supportaus@oncoreservices.com, or phone us on 1300 654 484 and we will strive to answer any of your questions.